Tokyo to Kyoto

The past week has been not only been mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting but it has also put a nice, clean dent in our bank account. This is why on our last full day in Tokyo we decided to take it easy and on the cheap in preparation for our trip to Kyoto.

After lunch we headed to an Asakusa Cat Cafe. With so much social media popularity, I could not leave Tokyo without going to one of them, especially as I am a cat lover myself (Shout out to Sooty). We paid ¥800 (£6) for an hour to play with the cats. However, they were either high on catnip or the owner had fed them so much food they were too lethargic to do anything as they barely moved in the full hour! 

Gutted the cats were sleeping
One of the regulars having a bit more luck
Georgia trying desperately to CATch their attention

After an hour of watching the Olympic swimmers in action and stroking the lazy lumps of lards we decided to leave. 

A short metro ride to the east of the Sumida River that runs through East Tokyo we visited the Tokyo-Edo Museum. As many of you will know ‘Edo’ was Tokyos former name before it became the capital of Japan. The museum had impressively technological, modern and interactive exhibitions that were genuinely really interesting. From the history of family life and urban growth to disease outbreaks and the Pacific War bombings, the museum had detailed information on almost every event in the cities history. I could of stayed there for a whole day but the museum shut at 17:30 so I got kicked out! I paid ¥480 for a student ticket but usually they’re ¥600.

5th floor exhibition
5th floor exhibition
5th floor exhibition

On the way back to our Airbnb we walked past an event that looked like either a school fate or a community festival. Loud, Japanese music was blaring from the speakers, kids and grandmas were dressed their best and everyone had a smile on their face. They had a cool system of buying dice (or Di) which could be traded for food, games or lucky dips.

obviously i spent my di on food
everyone is allowed to bang the drum in rhythm to the music
Enjoying the festive atmosphere

The next morning we woke up at 5:45am to go to Tsukiji Fish market, the biggest in the world. Regrettably, we didn’t take the advice from a local to go to the market at 2:30am when the Tuna auction is held. Instead we went as early as the metro would let us and got their too late. The market itself is pretty impressive with lots of fish on sale but there was a complete lack of atmosphere that made it seem like a chore for everyone involved! I would not get your hopes up too much if you’re visiting Tokyo and going to Tsukiji. At the end of the day a fish market is and always be a market where people sell fish, nothing mind blowing. Except the actual sushi, it was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had since I’ve been travelling!

Outside Tsukiji Fish Market
Raw salmon and tuna sushi and mussel and squid rice pastries

We went back to Asakusa to go to Tokyo station and by 09:30am we were on a bullet train heading for Kyoto! At 11:45am we had arrived and shortly after we’re checking into our new AirBnb! 
Thanks for reading, tomorrow I’ll explain our half day in getting to know our local area and our day in Southern Kyoto!

Sneak Preview of the waterway close to our AirBnb


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s